Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:53:06 -1000
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/gcc46 dependency loop on lang/gcc

On 08/28/2012 01:44 PM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
>> This would seem to be an error in the bsd.gcc.mk logic, or perhaps
>> an error in one of the ports' Makefiles, not sure yet. Any chance
>> you could look into this?
>
> I had done that when Robert contacted me first and could not find
> anything.

FYI, Robert has some interesting stuff in make.conf that he is
commenting out and testing.

For future reference, if a user approaches you(pl.) about a problem
compiling your port with portmaster the easiest way to determine if
portmaster is a suspect or not is to ask the user to try the same action
without using portmaster. In this case I'm pretty confident that this
would have shown that portmaster was not the issue.

Aside from my concern about using my time most effectively, I like to
see the users get help ASAP.

> Any chance portmaster could tell us where the loop comes from?  I
> looked at the -v option, but that one did not seem to provide this
> information and I feel stuck right now.

As I pointed out earlier, it's 'make build-depends-list'

But as for being stuck, I'm waiting on Robert to report his findings on
which make.conf option hung him up.

> Is it possible you have some special setting somewhere, Robert,
> like USE_GCC=... as a global setting somewhere?
>
> (Though, shouldn't even that work with portmaster assuming that this
> part of the process, forcing deinstallation of the old version and
> installing a new package, does not depend on "any" other ports?)

Portmaster waits until it builds the new thing successfully before
uninstalling the old thing.

Doug