Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:42:19 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Steve Kiernan <stevek@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [JNPR] Proposal to add weak symbols for malloc, realloc, and free to libc

On Jan 17, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Steve Kiernan wrote:
> When libc was changed to use jemalloc, the weak symbols for malloc, =
realloc, and free ended up being removed.
> This makes it a bit difficult for an application to replace (or =
augment) the malloc implementation.
>=20
> This proposal is to add back the weak symbols similar to how they =
existed in libc prior to jemalloc introduction.
>=20
> See the following patch for the changes:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marcel/Juniper/weak-malloc.diff
>=20
> I'm not sure if the the symbols are in the proper place in the =
Symbol.map file and would welcome comments.

What about calloc(), posix_memalign(), and malloc_usable_size()?  =
Similarly, I think the *allocm() functions in -current may need the same =
treatment.

Thanks,
Jason=