Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 16:04:07 +0200
From:      Alexandre <axelbsd@ymail.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

On Saturday, August 25, 2012, Glen Barber wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 04:55:48AM +0100, Ben Morrow wrote:
> > Quoth Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu <javascript:;>>:
> > >
> > > The latter.  If you are not using FreeBSD-Update to handle the updates
> > > of a machine you'll need to update your source tree using SVN for
> > > release branches (releng/*) from now on.  Updates of the CVS repository
> > > will continue for the existing stable/* and head for now.  I don't
> think
> > > anything has been decided on when that will stop.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is is sensible|supported to use freebsd-update to update just the src
> > component, followed by a normal buildworld/buildkernel to update the
> > rest of the system? I would much prefer to avoid having to use svn,
> > especially given that it isn't in the base system.
> >

> No.  freebsd-update(8) is a binary system updater.  It does not touch
> your source tree.
>
> Glen
>
> Hi Glen,

Freebsd-update tool installs binary updates for -RELEASE branch only (base
system + GENERIC kernel). By default, /usr/src is synced. So you can
upgrade your system and GENERIC kernel, then rebuild manually your custom
kernel if you got one. This is described in the Handbook at the page
"FreeBSD update".
You do not have to SVN or CSUP your /usr/src sources tree after used
freebsd-update tool.

Regards,
Alexandre