Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:52:16 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>, Jeff Kletsky <Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_version perl hacker project

--dzI2QqkSBOAresgT

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:00:52PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> At least it was a learning experience, right? :-)

	Yeah...  I still want to learn more about the ports skeleton
files though, it seems like there could be a chunk of work done on
standardizing the formats of Makefiles, but that's my opinion after
about an hour of investigation.

> If you're still in pkg_* perl script hacking mode, we could use a
> utility which does the following:

	Alright, I'll see if I can whip something out over the next
few days.  What kind of advisories do you want to support?  I'm
assuming BSD and that's it...  maybe CERT.

> Parses a set of ports security advisories, extracts a list of
> vulnerable package versions described in some form (regex/glob
> expression/etc) and checks for any vulnerable packages installed.

	Why not setup a mirrorable, online index of all ports that are
forbidden.  Have it run over HTTP so that proxy support should be
cake, and ... rest's history.

> We'd need to agree on a standard form to use in the advisories to aid
> in parsing.

	Yup!

> This could be done as an extension to pkg_version, since much of the
> code you will need to manage versions is already there, and it's a
> logical extension of that program's function.

	I'll probably do a stand-alone that depends on pkg_version,
then merge the two.

> NetBSD have a port called audit-packages which does something similar,
> but not quite the same as the above (last I checked) -- it might still
> be useful as a starting point.
>=20
> Interested?

	Yeah, why not.  With a tool like this, it'd make security
apart of an SA's daily routine.  Tonight I'll dive through my archived
mail and look for a few advisories to model after.  Is there a central
clearing house for all advisories, or some kind of database that can
be queried?  Are advisories distributed with a system?  I haven't seen
them in my cvsup logs, but this wouldn't be the first thing I've
glanced over and not noticed (ex: pkg_version).  -sc

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--dzI2QqkSBOAresgT

--dzI2QqkSBOAresgT--