Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:42:56 +0200
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies), multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vic-2.8 - quickcam

Doug White writes:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > I'm getting varying results from the quickcam.
> > in 6bit mode the whole system holds breath
> > every seconds together with heavy disk activity -
> > syslog? I'm also getting a bunch of timeouts
> > on reading the quickcam.
>
> YES!  The darn qcam driver just fills the syslog to the rim.  I don't know
> if the grabber is opening it in the wrong mode or what, but take a look at
> your syslog after about three minutes of activty.  It's about 5 log
> entries per second.  I think I'm going to hack the qcam driver to shut it
> up.
>
> > Sep 24 18:19:51 isdn-kukulies /kernel: qcam0: 1 timeouts during init
> > Sep 24 18:19:52 isdn-kukulies /kernel: qcam0: 6bpp unidirectional scan mode selected
> > Sep 24 18:20:23 isdn-kukulies last message repeated 31 times
> > Sep 24 18:22:24 isdn-kukulies last message repeated 113 times
>
> At least your machine picked up the repeat.
>
> > I would suggest an environment variable to set the
> > quickcam whitebalance to a fixed value.
> >  From what I've read this value is a constant and
> > distinct value for every individual instance.
> > This would ease adjustment and confine it to two degrees of
> > freedom rather than three :-)
>
> I don't mind the whitebalance; it's sort of a softer brightness.

I believe the qcam driver has changed a couple of weeks ago. Some new
code has been introduced and made things worse. I didn't check
the cvs repository for that but I seem to remember.

On a machine in the campus - blues, a 486DX2/66 - the kernel
qcam driver doesn't show these timeouts and also doesn't lock the system
every second or so while in my town office I have Amd5x86 DX4/133
which should be faster but since it's running a Sep 1 kernel
it has this nasty behaviour. Maybe one should backout the qcam driver
changes? At least testwise.