Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:50:13 +0000
From:      <Stefan.Erl@dlr.de>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dummynet, pipes and VNET jails

Hi all,

I have a problem with ipfw/dummynet, pipes and VNET jails using FreeBSD 12.=
0
release. Packets are lost in the pipe when any impairments are configured.

I set up several VNET jails and connected them via epairs, in order to=20
do tests with different network and routing configurations. On some jails, =
want to run dummynet with pipes to add delay to the packets. Whenever
I configure a pipe with zero delay, everything works. As soon as I add any =
delay
(or loss, bw limit), the packets enter the pipe, but never exit it, and nev=
er
appear on the target Jail.

A simple test setup I've set up is the following:
(JailB is configured for IP forwarding)

| JailA |-----| JailB |-----| JailC |