Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:21:04 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Release documentation for 4.5-RELEASE

If memory serves me right, Doug White wrote:

> The description of MAXMEM/hw.physmem implies that MAXMEM is a new option.
> It's been around since the 2.X days :-)

Arrrgh.  This item started out as an alpha-only release note, and I
somehow saw somewhere that MAXMEM existed on the i386, then inferred
(wrongly) that the entire MAXMEM feature was new.

> Also hw.physmem should be
> described as a loader tunable, not an environment variable (yeah, it's a
> kernel environment variable, I know).  Unless I'm misunderstading the
> difference between loader tunables and kenv variables.

I'm going to blame that on dfr:

dfr         2001/10/04 06:09:36 PDT

  Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
    sys/alpha/alpha      machdep.c
    sys/conf             options.alpha
  Log:
  MFC: add support for MAXMEM option and hw.physmem environment variable.

  Revision   Changes    Path
  1.68.2.14  +56 -1     src/sys/alpha/alpha/machdep.c
  1.19.2.3   +3 -1      src/sys/conf/options.alpha

But I'll also fix it.

> I'll let you know if I find any more nits to pick :)

Feel free...thanks!

Bruce.