Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 20:09:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jonathan Belson <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Hobley <davidh@progmatics.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 3.1-RELEASE Crash/FS Corruption on my Libretto

On 09-Apr-99 David Hobley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE (the one that comes with the 3.1
> Walnut Creek CDROM) onto my Libretto this week. I had just got
> everything installed over a serial line (slow slow slow - but I
> can't use my ethernet card as the machine has only one slot and the
> floppy used that on boot).

I took out the hard drive and plugged it into one of my other
machines with an adaptor.  Once the basic install worked, I could
use my ethernet connection for the upgrading.

> I was logged in to the console as root and executed zzz. This
> successfully suspended my machine.
> I then resumed my machine which appeared to work well. I logged out
> and when I entered my username to log in the machine crashed and
> completely trashed my /usr partition. To the extent I will have to
> reinstall from scratch.

You mentioned that you suspended....you did leave space at the end
of your hard disk for the suspend operation to dump on, didn't you?

C-YA
Jon

<http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>;