Date:      Wed, 08 May 1996 10:40:24 -0400
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@pcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Copyright question

I wrote a FreeBSD driver last year and have been trying to get
the manufacturer to agree to the standard BSD copyright.  It's
taken a few months for them to get a ruling, but they've given
the OK with 2 slight changes to the standard copyright.

Condor Engineering, Inc. released the source code to the DOS
drivers to me, so the FreeBSD driver I wrote was based somewhat
on capabilities that originated from the DOS driver.

I'd like to include the driver as part of FreeBSD.  My questions
are:

  o It's a MIL-STD-1553 driver and will have limited use.  Can
    we still have it included in the source tree?

  o How does the addition of 4th condition in the copyright
    affect any inclusion in FreeBSD?  Is it too restrictive?

The other change to the copyright was to add "DISCLAIMER" before
the disclaimer.  Condor didn't think it was explicit enough.  I
don't think anyone's going to have a problem with this.  The
modified copyright follows:

/*
 * Driver for the MIL-STD-1553B interface boards manufactured by
 * Condor Engineering, Inc.
 *
 * Parts of this driver were based upon the DOS driver for the
 * same boards by the manufacturer Condor Engineering, Inc.
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1995 by Daniel M. Eischen and Condor Engineering, Inc.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice immediately at the beginning of the file, without modification,
 *    this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. Absolutely no warranty of function or purpose is made by the authors
 *    Daniel M. Eischen and Condor Engineering, Inc.
 * 4. This code is only licensed for use with Condor Engineering, Inc.
 *    interface hardware.
 * 5. Modifications may be freely made to this file if the above conditions
 *    are met.
 *
 * DISCLAIMER:
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE DEVELOPER(S) ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS
 * OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE DEVELOPER(S) BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 * DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
 * STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
 * IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
 * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 *
 */

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions,

Dan Eischen
eischen@pcnet.com