Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:22:20 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044055669.3fadd8@mired.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which files and directories to backup?

At 8:16 PM -0500 1/26/03, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
>>  It's a bad idea to exclude fstab.
>
>Why? At one point I had it included and it actually clobered a working one
>and just caused much more headaches.

You should still back it up; you just need to be more careful with
your restores. The same will be true for many of the files in /etc.

>Other files won't create as much headaches as fstab if copied over by
>mistake.

You say that now, but I would bet that for many people, restoring an
old rc.conf would be more prone to making them yell "Doh!" than
restoring an old fstab.

In other words, you are better off doing more complete backups and
just being that much more careful when you do restores. You can also
do backups very often to minimize the problems of a backup being too
old. I back up something similar to what you have listed here (with
fewer exceptions of directories because most of the things you
carefully excluded are really small) every week, and always just
before I do a major upgrade. I then shove the backup offsite via ftp.

Much of what you are backing up is quite compressable, so you should
most likely be using 'tar -czf' instead of just 'tar -cf'