Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:37:00 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@devel.njit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32 bit to 64 bit

On 6/27/2012 9:37 AM, Tim Kellers wrote:
> Will the buildworld ---> buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO64 allow a 32 bit
> installation to build a 64 bit kernel?  I'd like to upgrade this machine
> to 64 bit AMD and I'd prefer not to do it from a DVD if I can do it from
> source.   Has anyone tried this and succeeded (or failed spectacularly)
> on a remote install/upgrade?

I have seen posts of people who have done it, but when we contemplated
it a while back it was more trouble than it was worth. It was easier and
safer to build a new image on a separate disk, install all the apps from
the ports, and then migrate the customer data over.  Even if the box is
remote, it might be easier to ship the drive there and have someone
change it out for you.

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400