Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:26:31 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Friedemann Becker <friedemann.becker@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to contribute...

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:54:47PM +0100, Friedemann Becker wrote:

> I'd like to contribute to the ia-64 port somehow - do some programming,
> code review, debugging, stuff like that. I don't have access to an itanium
> machine, but I'm very interested in the topic and wondered, if there would
> be some work to do or some way, I can be of any help for the project.
> suggestions welcome :)

Tricky. I would say that anything you cannot do on your own is not
going to help the project at this time. Since you don't have an
ia64 machine, there's not really that much you can contribute right
now. However, if you find something valuable to do for FreeBSD, you
could earn commit privileges. This would give you access to an ia64
machine and that would open many more doors (assuming you haven't
found another way to gain access to an ia64 machine).

Given the above, one could start a career as ports committer. By
using cross-compilation you may be able to validate ports for ia64
and send patches to the maintainers. You would probably only test
building. Running is a different issue.
Another option is a career as docs committer. You could for example
host the FreeBSD ia64 project pages; set it up and maintain it. It
won't be long before people realize that your pages should be made
the official FreeBSD pages (because ours are pathetic :-). If you
use the FreeBSD tools to build the pages, you gain experience with
that as well.

The nice thing about the docs approach is that you build knowledge
as well. This definitely speeds up getting your hands dirty on
all the low-level stuff.

Anyway: This advice doesn't apply to you alone and my suggestions
are not the only options. Key in this is that you have to find a
way to reduce our work. That way you'll be part of the project
before you can say bummer! :-)