Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:45:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zip drives and MSDOS fs

> I've been trying to mount an msdos formatted ZIP disk with mount_msdos with
> the command as such:
>
> enterprise# mount -t msdos /dev/da1a /mnt
> msdos: /dev/da1a: Invalid argument
>
> enterprise# mount_msdos /dev/da1c /mnt
> mount_msdos: /dev/da1c: Invalid argument
>
> I don't understand why it thinks the argument is invalid. Does mount_msdos
> not follow normal syntax? doing a straight "mount" (ie UFS) it errors
> complaining of a bad super-block, as it should. The drive light comes on
> and it does attempt to do something. The _msdos version doesn't do anything.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a floppy on this machine to test, neither do I
> have a FAT based hard drive.

Zip disks are typically sliced like harddisks, and the DOS slice as the
disk comes from the factory is the fourth.

msdos filesystems are almost never found inside partitions, so it is
never correct to specify a partition letter when trying to mount one.

For an as-factory-formatted Zip disk on da1, use 'da1s4'.