Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 03:41:57 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI error message

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

Thomas Seck(tmseck@web.de)@2001.06.05 12:56:35 +0000:
> On Jun 05 2001, Jan Conrad wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I just got the following error message (running 4.3R)
> >=20
>=20
> (snipped)
>=20
> I have kern/26880 open on a similar issue.  It's an Adaptec 19160 with=20
> Quantum Atlas V disks attached.  After we fiddled with the SCSI cables=20
> I have not seen the error for about five weeks now.  Maybe you might want=
 to=20
> look over the cabling/adaptor termination, too? It seems the driver is a=
=20
> bit picky about that?!
i guess you both ran into the quite well known bad termination problem.
there were some questions a while ago concerning the freebsd vs linux
scenario where a freebsd fails with SCB timeouts while a linux runs
along with apparently no problems at all. the quick answer for this
particular behaviour in freebsd is, that the io subsystem is designed to
put more load onto the scsi devices than the implementation of other
os'es io subsystems. so, basically, what happens is, that you only see
the timeouts under freebsd, of course, since it arbits the scsi bus more
often, and with more data in the same period of time compared to other
implementations.

terminate correctly, symmetric terminators, active, for u160. use good
cables, no vobis crap ;-) i use amphenol cables for external links and
gr-kabel (german distributor) for internal wiring. this solved most of
my scsi problems with u160.

>=20
> Regards from Bornheim :-)
> Thomas Seck
cheers from darmstadt,
/k

--=20
> It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language rewards
> idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has ever done.=
=20
> --Erik Naggum=20
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ--