Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:38:35 -0600
From:      "Bruce DeVault" <internal@intechsoft.net>
To:        "Andy Dills" <andy@xecu.net>, "Andrew Heybey" <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor 40GB HD

> On 16 Dec 1999, Andrew Heybey wrote:
>
> > > This is backed up by somebody who emailed me stating that with their
27.5
> > > GB drive, they had to leave off the last couple of sectors to get it
> > > work.
> > >
> > > So, is this a bug, a kernel config, or anything you recognize?
> > > And, anything I can do to fix it?
> >
> > First, it is not a fundamental bug.  Proof by counter-example:
> >
> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ccd0c   66984252  4803840 56821672     8%    /netvcr
>
> Yes, I'm not questioniong the limit of fs sizes, but that's a concat'ed
> fs you have there. I'm talking about a single fs on a single 40GB disk.
>
> > and there are others with much larger file systems than this.
>
> In GB or sectors?
>
> > Second, you did not provide any useful information to help anyone
> > figure this out such as a) what version of FreeBSD you are using, b)
> > exactly what arguments you are giving to newfs, c) what error messages
> > newfs prints when it fails, or d) what your disk label is.
>
> Version is 3.3, standard newfs args from sysinstall (-b 2192 -something
> 1024), the error message is a simple write error. What info from the
> disklabel would you like?

This is almost verbatim the problem I had with IBM Deskstar 34GB drives. I
could newfs to almost the size of the drive with no errors, but using the
whole drive yielded a newfs error. I posted about this problem several
times, perhaps three or four weeks ago. Although people were generally
helpful, and several were quite helpful, there's been no acknowledgement
that there's any kind of problem with the way things work.

In the end, I had to use less than the full size of the drives, and I ended
up striping two about 30GB filesystems with vinum.

I'm looking forward to seeing an actual resolution to this problem, because
I'd like to be able to reinstall the thing correctly when a fix is
available, but I can't afford to take the thing down to play with it anymore
just to try things at semi-random.

Bruce DeVault
InTech Software