Date:      21 Jul 2002 23:23:07 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 maintenance is near impossible

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 16:42, Steve Wingate wrote:
> <rant>I finally gnome2 working by following the freebsd.org/gnome
> instructions. After that I set:
>
> WITHOUT_GNOME=yes in make.conf so gnome1.x apps wouldn't overwrite with
> older stuff. Later on I get a craving to install xmps and guess what?
> Gnome2 is nuked by some gnome1.x apps that xmps wanted, even specifying
> 'make -DWITHOUT_GNOME' seemed to be pulling down gnome stuff. Now I'm
> back in dependency Hell trying to get gnome2 back.
> There has to be an easier way to design software.
> </rant>
>
> Kudos to the people who are working very hard to make this crap software
> run on FreeBSD.

This problem should be fixed now for the most part.  If you run into a
port that still overwrites your GNOME 2.0 desktop, please let gnome@
know about it.  Note, that the GNOME 1.4.1 ports listed on the GNOME 2.0
FAQ should not be installed on top of the GNOME 2.0 desktop.

As for xmps, this is sobomax's port, and I'm sure he'll be attending to
do it ASAP.  As a general rule of thumb, if you find a GNOME port that
sets USE_GNOME to yes, then you should not install it on top of GNOME
2.0.  We are in the process of converting to a new GNOME ports
infrastructure.  Once this is done, most GNOME 1.4.1 ports will be safe
to install on GNOME 2.0.

Joe