Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:53:36 -0600
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packet forwarding overhead - with ipfw counting

I have a server acting as a router. Dual bge gigabit network interfaces
(PCI-X), one is the WAN side the other is the LAN side.

When we're pushing 250-300mbits through, we're using about 15% of its
2.4Ghz P4 Xeon CPU. All of it is in "interrupt" time... that seems a bit
high, but that'll still let us max things out at 1gbit so we're ok.

However, we wanted to do some MRTG style traffic charts per ip. I added
about 30 sets of ipfw rules like this:

count ip from 10.0.0.160 to any
count ip from any to 10.0.0.160

Having these in place more than tripled the CPU usage. Am I just hitting a
non-optimized codepath in ipfw, or is this normal for these kind of rules?