Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:23:29 -0800
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        sergey kern <kern@prophos.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how can i install

sergey kern wrote:

> well I would install freebsd without CD-ROM
> I haw an internet connection and i found freebsd files at
>
> ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-CURRENT/
>
> and a little bit more directories
>
> I readed info about put image on boot floppy, i downloaded a bootimage
>
> I need data
>
> Attention! now follows the question
>
> can I simply download all from
> ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-CURRENT/
> and run setup.exe
>
> or have i to do more actions
>
> (well, all I need is the system and developing tools)
>
> I am very happy if you can help me
> thanks
>
> Sergey

Depending on your connection/bandwidth, starting from the floppies you
will have the option of installing via FTP which I've used successfully
several times.  However, I wouldn't recommend it for a dialup connection
unless you have lots of time.

This isn't just an application -- and it's not MS-Windows -- so simply
downloading files and running setup will not work.

There are ISO images available with which you can effectively create
your own installation CD.  It has worked for others but I have not tried
that technique.

I strongly recommend checking out the FreeBSD documentation available at
http:www.FreeBSD.org/ before you even think about beginning the
installation.

craig