Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:22:39 -0600
From:      nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   berkeley packet filter doesn't work??

I am trying to do some scanning of our office LAN to look for potential
security breaches (eg. plaintext user/pass combinations thru SAMBA, POP
auth, etc) and for inappropriate web browsing (eg. porn, hate sites,
etc)

however... when i run tcpdump, ethereal, readsmb, etc.  --> all i see
are the packets that have the host/destination address of my computer
(the one i'm running these apps on)

i have the appropriate line in my kernel config for the Berkely Packet
Filter
    pseudo-device bpfilter 4

and i did the ol
    sh MAKEDEV bpf0

plus.. if bpf isn't config'd properly, those apps won't even RUN

all i'm wanting to do is scan the traffic of the approximate 20 machines
that we have connected through a 100 mbit/s 3com switch

my questions-->

1) am i incorrect in my understanding of bpf??

2) if so, what in the hell good is berkeley packet filter if i can't see
any other packets 'sides those coming to/from my computer explicitly??

3) how can i correct this so i can see ALL (or at least MORE) of the
LAN traffic??

TIA!!