Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:57:29 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Eric A. Davis" <edavis@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 04:51:08PM -0700, Eric A. Davis wrote:

> I am working on a project (for McKusick's Adv. Kernel class) that allows
> user level processes to monitor filesystem activity on a file by file
> basis.  The application program expresses interest in files by supplying
> the pathname of a file and a set of events to be monitored.  These events
> can be create file, delete file, size changed, attributes changed, etc.

YES!  I've been missing this since I left my Amiga 5 years ago!

Does the above imply watching for changes in directories, too?  Ie,
file added to directory, notification sent...

What level of notification?  Do you get information saying 'file so
changed atime to XXX'/'file XXX added to directory', or just a flag
saying 'event so happened on descriptor so'?

Eivind.