Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:32:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        atar <atar.yosef@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TL-WN722N support on FreeBSD.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:32:24 +0300, atar wrote:
> Now, my question is, since the above mentioned device is supported
> by Linux via a special atheros firmware module, and since FreeBSD
> provides a Linux virtualization, will this device work on a FreeBSD
> system by its Linux virtualization capability?

Probably this won't work. The Linux support in FreeBSD is in the
form of an ABI, an alternative binary interface. This allows
Linux _programs_ to make Linux system calls which are then
"translated" into BSD system calls. This happens in user space,
the "layer" in which programs are running. Device drivers, on
the other hand, do not operate in this "layer", they are very
tightly connected to the system kernel, using its interfaces.
As FreeBSD's kernel space is very different from Linux's kernel
space, the driver probably cannot be used 1:1. A rewrite would
be required (or at last some major adjustments).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany