Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:45:16 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad X31 users?

Will Andrews <will@csociety.org> probably said:
> Is there anyone that uses a Thinkpad X31?  If so, please tell me
> how well it works for you, i.e., peripherals like ethernet,
> 802.11, modem.. and the graphics card?  Thanks.

I have an X30, looks like mostly all they did to change to the X31 was
bump up the processor speed and change the gaphics chipset to an ati
mobility. The main part of the IBM part number (2672) hasn't changed.

If you search the archives you can find my results on gettig FreeBSD
happy on my X30.

Modem was an unsupported winmodem (on the mini-pci wireless card). The
built in wireless was somewhat flaky for me (other people have been
happy with that card, it stuttered for me) so I replaced it with a
Cisco MPI350 mini-pci which now works flawlessly thanks to some good
work from Doug Ambrisko. I havn't tried working with firewire (no
devices) nor the IR but everything else (CF slot, PCMCIA slot, serial,
suspend/resume, suspend to disk, audio, ether, ether/cd-rw/etc on the
X3 media slice, dock/undock, USB) works great. The X30 gfx chipset
(I830MG) has support in XF86 4.3.0 although even without that you can
run in VESA mode slightly slower, I don't know about the X31 chipset.

Great little laptop, light, decent battery life (I can get over 3
hours using wireless) ... the only reason I'd buy an X31 over a
cheaper X30 is the video chipset to play games faster ;)

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu