Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 95 20:44 CST
From:      steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
To:        hackers-owner@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ethernet interface AUI, UTP and BNC ports

I haven't been reading "current" so forgive me if this has be hashed
to death.

Given the number of questions users, new and old, keep asking about the correct
ifconfig options for using the various ports on an interface, doesn't make
sense to define AUI, UTP, and BNC as some alias of link0-2 in ifconfig?

Also, on boards that have EEPROM configuration should we always use the
configured port type at probe time and not change it unless something
is specified via ifconfig.

I think this would eliminate all these "my 3C5X9 doesn't work" questions.

If this is something deemed useful I'd offer to hack ifconfig and as many
of the ethernet drivers as I can before 2.1 release to do this.

Any comments?

Steve Piette                                       Applied Computer Technology
steve@simon.chi.il.US.                             7N852 Phar Lap Drive
(708) 513-6920                                     St. Charles, IL 60175-6868