Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:45:10 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cable modem / natd challenge

Hi, all --

I've successfully used natd to share a dialup connection among my
apartment's network for quite a while.  Now, I have a cable modem, but
in this area, they're still using those lame hybrid (downstream through
cable modem, upstream through analog modem and PPP) setups.  I suspect
that with some clever use of natd, ipfw, et. al. the connection can
still be shared, but I'm stymied.  Here's the situation

I have a computer with ed0 connected to the ApartmentNet (TM).  The
cable modem is connected to an ethernet interface xl0, but that's only
downstream.  Upstream is through a PPP connection on tun0.  Can anyone
more skilled in IP than I (not saying much) suggest any incantations to
natd'ize the cable modem connection?  Let me know if I need to provide
any more info, tcpdump(1)s, etc.

Lucas
--
                             S. Lucas Bergman