Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 12:22:23 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        DARREND@novell.com (Darren Davis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: COFF 386 X Windows application.

AFAIK sysi86 isn't working at all, except to tell you that
it isn't ;).  I think you're confusing sysi86() with vm86(), I did
too, 'til I read the SCO man page.  sysi86() works kind of like
an ioctl in a driver, it provides a bunch of different commands
that may or may not return useful stuff.  From sco's <sys/sysi86.h>
function 114 is ``get os features vector'', whatever that is.  Other
common uses are get/set swap info and status, get/set hardware
clock, SCO's vm86() interface is accesed through this, the ldt/gdt
manipulation stuff is done this way too.  Many of the functions
provided by sysi86() are available on FBSD in other ways, some aren't.
It'd be a good exercise to cast those that are available to the
sysi86() emulation.  I'd call it an `entry level kernel hack'.

For your app, you might want to just have sysi86() return a
success value, and see what happens. I'm not sure what the app expects
back from a `get os features' call, maybe something as usless as
a uname, or maybe the whole app depends on it.

good luck,
eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com