Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:10:48 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Justin Finkelstein <justin@redwiredesign.com>
Cc:        'Colin King' <ring_06@m202.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hot-swap SATA and atacontrol

On 02/08/2005, at 9:42, Justin Finkelstein wrote:

> OK; so, what you're saying is that it'll be ok to pull the drive if =20=

> I've
> unmounted it?
> In that case, is the atacontrol step unneccesary? My thinking is =20
> that it
> might be, but it's just another step to ensure nothing goes wrong.

"depends"

If the SATA controller supports hotswap ATA will notice when you yank =20=

the drive and detach it properly from the system (ATA wise, if =20
mounted you get into trouble). Also it will autodiscover any SATA =20
driver added, again only on supporting chipsets (and those I know how =20=

to handle).

- S=F8ren