Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:33:44 +0100
From:      Tanel Rebane <tanel@rebane.se>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is the relationship between Intel and FreeBSD in regards to igb(4)?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the igb(4) drivers. As I've understood
this driver is written by Intel and they distribute it from their Download
Center. The driver also seems to be included in the default installation of
FreeBSD (yet I can't seem to find anything relevant in src/sys/dev/igb).
However, when comparing the igb(4) man page (of FreeBSD) and the readme for
igb-2.2.3.tar.gz (of Intel) there are differences in supported devices.

Am I right in suspecting that Intel does all the developing in-house and
then, from time to time, their source gets pushed/synced with the FreeBSD
source tree? Does that mean that current the man page for igb(4) lists
fewer supported devices because igb(4) on FreeBSD itself is out of date? If
that is the case, how often does FreeBSD pull new versions of igb from
Intel?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Regards,
Tanel Rebane

P.S: Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list.