Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:01:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, ryder_a@chasma.net
Subject:   Re: question about Dual NICs

> If I have two T1s from independent providers with two different blocks
> of IPS, two 3c905-TX cards, two different IPs
>
> For redundancy reasons, what's the best way to go abouts this?
>
> Have each card run seperate IPs (one from each T1) what discerns between
> the two so it knows which routes (besides routing tables) to use?

Won't work.  You need source-based routing to make it work, and FreeBSD
doesn't support it without some patches which I've not seen in a few
years.  It especially won't work if your providers are each properly
filtering their traffic, which would prevent it from working even in
the normal-OK case.

> Anyone have a similiar solution?
>
> We have two T1s - one for client bandwidth - one for servers
> (dedicated) which I want to combine just in case everything goes down.

Why distinguish?  It's silly.

Easiest solution is to have each provider announce one single IP block
for you.  If either link fails, the other still gives you IP connectivity
for the block.

More complex solution is to speak BGP to each provider.  This has few
advantages that I can think of in your situation, and may be more difficult
for you to set up.  However, when you lose a link, in theory the associated
provider will no longer appear as a route to your site.  You don't _need_
BGP for that, but unless you have two clueful providers, it's the only way
it's likely to work reliably.

In the latter case, get a reasonable PC (128MB RAM, P233 or faster) to
act as your BGP speaker, and take full routes.  You will be able to do
cooler load balancing that way.  You don't have to, but it gives you
some additional flexibility if you're going to go to the trouble of BGP
anyways.
--
... Joe