Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:09:46 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ident, apache, named, and probably more...

On Mon, 15-Nov-1999 at 12:35:17 -0500, John wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> >> In the past week, I've installed and configured named and apache (with
> >> modssl).  Everything was going great until i rebooted last night.
> >> I wanted to hop onto irc for a bit (using ircII), and well, I'm getting a
> >> response from the servers saying that I need to have my sysadmin install
> >> identd.  The thing is that I've had pidentd installed for 2+ months now and
> >> it WAS working flawlessly.  I'm running v3.3 right now.  Nothign I found in
> >> the archives seemed to be the cure.
> >
> >First make sure identd is set up properly in /etc/inetd.conf and that
> >the internal "fake" identd is turned off.  If the inetd entry is
> >correct, remove identd and then recompile it cleanly from the ports
> >collection.
>
> identd is set up in /etc/inetd.conf as:
> ident   stream  tcp     wait    kmem:kmem /usr/local/sbin/identd identd -w
> -t120

Mine is:

auth   stream  tcp  wait  root  /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w -t120

and it works perfectly. Don't know if this is the problem...

> i removed the install, and I did a new compile clean and from the ports
> (did this both last night and today), issued a kill -HUP <pid of inetd> and
> the same problem still exists - the irc servers still state I'm not running
> identd.
>
> What is the "fake" identd that you're referring to?  I have no instances of
> identd running when issuing ps -auwx | grep ident

I think this refers to the new, internal identd in -current.

While we are at this: I would like to use this in -STABLE. I simply compiled
-current's inetd in -STABLE and it seems to work well. But, when enabling
the internal identd and testing it, it complains:

andre@voyager:/>telnet vo auth
Trying 192.168.128.1...
Connected to voyager.
Escape character is '^]'.
1008,1022
1008 , 1022 : ERROR : No such file or directory

Any hints what I am missing ?!?

	-Andre