Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:36:24 GMT
From:      ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: FW: Email [was: Squid will that be fried ?]

Sue

 > I find this approach reprehensible, no matter which company does it.
 > I don't like paying any software company to make me look a fool.
 > Many different companies have tried.

another point of using standards is so that we can all communicate,
no matter whose software we're using. It's fine for Claris or MS
to do their own thing, and maybe they do it better, but it doesn't
help the rest of us using other o/s or software if they do it
 * in a proprietry way,
 * do not openly publish what it is they're doing
 * re-do functionallity rather than participate in the global standards
  process to get the open standards right etc etc.

e.g. I seem to get application/ms-tnef body parts from MS Outlook
which I believe may be receipt notifications, why doesn't it use
Message Dispostion Notifications which are defined openly in a draft
RFC - (which also contain human readable and machine readable parts)

and so on

Ruth

Ruth Moulton            ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Consultant

65 Tetherdown,
London N.10 1NH, UK     Tel:+44 181 883 5823