Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:40:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        norton@nrlmry.navy.mil
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP vs. PLIP

norton@nrlmry.navy.mil:
 >I just picked up a microcom modem for connecting to my ISP (they hook
 >into a T1).  They are running microcom modems also.  This is a 28.8
 >modem.
 >
 >The modem info says that you can hook it up to either a serial port or
 >a parallel port - and claims that the parallel port arrangement will
 >give you about 3x the throughput.
 >
 >I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to if you would really
 >see higher bandwidth running through the parallel port (using PLIP, I
 >terms of both speed and reliability?  From what I can tell, I get
 >about 18kbits/sec on things like ftp's currently.

If you've got a fast serial port (16550 -- 16 byte FIFO), that's plenty
fast enough to handle 28.8K dial-up connection even with full data
compression on (56K-60K or so for highly compressible content).  Also to my
knowledge, FreeBSD supports FIFOs on fast serial ports, but doesn't support
the advanced features of ECP/EPP parallel ports.  So I think you'd have
less system overhead with SLIP or PPP over a fast serial port (though at
dial-up speeds I really don't know whether it'd make a noticable
difference).

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com