Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:02:02 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        gonzo@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpiobus_hinted_child >32 pins support, pin_getname method, and gpio-sysctl bridge patch

On Aug 19, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> In general, I like this code in the context of the current GPIO =
framework.  I've been growing dissatisfied with the current GPIO =
framework, however, and some of my comments reflect that more than any =
comments about this specific code.
>=20
> I noticed that Linux on BeagleBone does not
> simply number all pins as we do.  Pins are identified by
> two numbers:  a unit number and a pin number.

Is this in the code, or just in the FTD?  On Atmel, there's a single =
number from 0 to max-1 with all negative numbers being invalid.  But =
Atmel doesn't have proper FTD support in Linux just yet (3.5 has a good =
start, and 3.6 will add the missing pinmux/pinctl stuff).

> The AM3358 SoC has a couple of GPIO modules,
> so this makes it pretty natural to map hardware
> diagrams (which refer to "pin 13 of GPIO module 1") to
> software.=20
>=20
> I agree with Warner that masks are probably a bad
> idea at the framework level.
>=20
> But this all may have to wait for "gpioNG".

As does all the pinctl/pinmux stuff...  Linux is a fair bit ahead of us =
in being able to configure individual pins, groups of pins, in/out =
status, termination, etc. Pinctl/mux is the biggest part of the =
board/SoC support code for Atmel at the moment, so one of my plans is to =
transition those ports over as soon as the FTD stuff jells on the Linux =
side.

Plus Linux has more GPIOish things than we do.  Support for buttons that =
translate to a keyboard event, support for LEDs that's better than we =
have, the ability to control pin drives, interrupt control for GPIOs, =
etc.  Makes for a lot less code and a richer experience.

Warner