Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Comoletti <rugose@www.delanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Stephen Comoletti wrote:

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a Gateway 2000 pc. My current
> configuration is
> Pentium II/266
> 64 megs ram
> 6.4gig quantum fireball IDE hd
> Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master UDMA IDE controller
> iomega zip drive
> Mitsumi 12/24x CD
> Ensonique sounscape
> Telepath 56k x2

Okay...

> During my attempt to install I discovered that only my zip drive was
> recognized as a valid storage device (as wdc1 on irq 14).

No, that's the second IDE controller.  The zip would have come up as wd2
in that case.

> After some talk with a friend we tried various changes to the cmos,
> altering the plug&play settings, disabling the motherboard IDE controller
> which was driving the zip and the CD-ROM both, and manually configuring the
> HD. None worked.

Hm, I know for a fact that the 82371SB works fine with FreeBSD, I have one
on this Asus board.  Verify that the master/slave jumpers are set properly
and the cable is plugged properly on the Quantum.  (Quantums are known
rogue drives, unfortunately)

> Devices connected to the motherboard IDE seemed to be detected fine. The
> Intel controller was not seen at all. wdc0 came up not found in all
> attempts.

So the Intel is a separate card?  Have you tried running the hard disk
directly off the MB IDE controller?

> Is there any way around this or am I unable to install freebsd at all on
> this system without adding a supported scsi controller/drive or connecting
> another IDE drive to the motherboard IDE?

You might fiddle with a new cable, checking jumpers, and bringing your
CDROM over onto the same cable as the hard disk.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo