Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        cattelan@thebarn.com (Russell Cattelan)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still! what appears to be VM problems.

Russell Cattelan writes:
> Sep 11 17:34:45 lupo /kernel: pid 11035 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> Sep 11 17:49:45 lupo /kernel: pid 11049 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
>
> perl in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
> perl in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
>
> This is the latest CAM kernel... so it isn't the "most" to date.

We've been seeing a similar problem (or problems) literally for years !
Ie, in 2.2, 3.0, ...

Could be one bug, could be more than one bug... but the following things
seems to crop up all the time (not necessarily at the same time):

 - some file is being mmap'd
 - some process is forking
 - panic because a process on sleep and run queues at the same time
 - random segfaults in processes (inetd, sendmail -> because they fork alot?)

When we try to look at kernel core dumps, it always seems either
completely mysterious (eg, impossible CPU register contents) or almost
completely mysterious (because no one here understands the VM code).

I guess I'm hoping some VM guru will see this list and think "aha!" ..
VM gurus, any ideas?

Maybe there's some small race condition in the VM system when a process
forks and there's a context switch involving a process using mmap
and/or shared memory?? Or maybe just a simple mmap/shared memory bug?

-Archie