Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:59:49 -0500
From:      "Frank Griffith" <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Security

I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 running and I connect to the Internet
using a dynamic connection. For kicks, I run Apache 1.3.0
web server on this same unit. It appears that while I've been
testing my server, some bozo came in and used sendmail
to send some rough and threatening e-mail to someone. My
ISP even cancelled my account until I proved I had nothing
to do with it.

If someone came in, unathorized that is, and used
my mail server to send mail, which log file would show me
this intrusion?  How can I prevent this from happening again?

There is a moral to this story!  When you think abusing someone
else's system is fun and makes you feel superior... think about
how I lost a couple of days billings (that's how I pay my rent, ya know!)
because of this snafu, and ask yourself how would you feel coming
up a couple of hundred short for the month just because some bozo
sent some trawdry e-mail through your system. Thanks pal!