Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:34:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix and FreeBSD

>From: David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
>Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:23:53 -0600

>Arrgghh! You can't be serious about their print system? My worst
>nightmares with Solaris 2.5.1 has been printing. The only way I've
>gotten one printing The Way I Like has been to install Sun's
>SparcPrinter E package and to not configure any other network printer on
>the box. HP JetDirect software is essential for HP printers.

>Without special "drivers" from Sun and/or HP, was never able to convince
>its over-intelligent print system that the printer expected and only
>would accept PostScript. The default print system is OK for most
>printers if you don't mind stairstepped output if somebody happens to
>throw raw text at it. Or as long as you can convince your users to
>always run their text thru a2ps or similar. Big problem was our HP 4MV
>really blew up on whatever was being sent so 40 or 100 almost blank
>pages at the printer wasn't unusual.

Although I sympathize with respect to a lot of the hassle with "lp",
dealing with both PS & text has not been a problem for me (without
"special drivers") -- once I found out that the brain-dead
implementation of lpd in the JetDirect cards does have a mildly
redeeming feature:  Recall that since that lpd treats the IP address of
the LaserJet as that of the server; it knows about multiple logical
printers reachable at that server, including one called "text".

(The reason I refer to that implementation of lpd as "brain-dead" is
that lpd is supposed to queue requests, as any other SPOOLiing system
does.  I have seen no evidence that the lpd in question does so, nor
have I seen any evidence that it provides a negative acknowledgement
when an attempt is made to print something while the printer is already
busy.  Further, I find that while it copes with some PostScript just
fine (such as output of "man -t" for some man pages), similar PostScript
gets silently dropped on the floor (output of "man -t" for other man
pages) -- even if I specify "maximal brain-damage" for groff.  Weird.
In such cases, instead of printing the PS here at work with FreeBSD, I
take it home & print using Solaris 2.6 on a SPARCstation; at home, my
LaserJet is connected via parallel port, so I don't need to deal with
HP's lpd implementation.)

>Have heard both BSD lpr/lpd and LPRng are ported to Solaris, and have a
>modest following.  I can understand why.

:-),
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621