Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:16:18 +0200
From:      "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen@unfix.org>
To:        "'Jordan Hubbard'" <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, <jjohnson@au.yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        <jmr71769@earthlink.net>, <hal@vailsys.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Anyone see todays Wall Street Journal article: Microsoft Using Free Software (or something to that effect)

Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> wrote:
> > That's the BSD license for ya.
> >
> > There needs to be a license that says something to the
> effect of "Anyone
> > can use/buy/sell/modify/distribute this software with or
> without source code except Microsoft."
>
> Why?  I'd personally be happy if Microsoft software was made a lot
> easier to use by incorporating BSD stuff.  Imagine, a Windows 2000
> firewall that didn't suck rocks, or DHCP renegotiation that didn't
> drop all my active connections by default when my modem hung up
> unexpectedly...  It would be nice!

Heheh..... just looks like that Wallstreet journal thingy... complaining
without even looking into it and
thus stating loose unfounded facts, making you look very silly IMHO.
That guy claiming to be from spider did clear up some facts now didn't
it.
I don't know what you define by "ease of use", but that's probably
personal and depends on what you
want to use something for and not to forget how to use it :)
You might like to type a 'netsh.exe' to come into the Net Shell with all
kinds of nice commands, you'll prolly like it :)

For your "unexpected hang ups":
Q239924 - How to Disable Media Sense for TCP/IP in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/9/24.ASP

set this value data to 1, DHCP, and even non-DHCP, clients ignore Media
Sense events from the interface. By default, Media Sense events trigger
the DHCP client to take an action, such as attempting to obtain a lease
(when a connect event occurs), or invalidating the interface and routes
(when a disconnect event occurs)."

Which will fix your problems... You should really start using MSDN (or
google which will also find it) instead of complaining without doing the
proper research... In the unix/bsd/* world they call that RTFM -> nicely
said: Read The Faq and Manual, oh and don't forget to understand it
either...
Just for the reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com -> search on
"disconnect tcp ip 2000" et voila the second the link, yes you need to
now the good searching terms but that's required too when one uses
google or others :)

On another note... something I already mailed in the former discussions:
Port from UNIX to Win32:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vccore/_core_port
_from_unix_to_win32.htm

And for the rest.... using BSD sockets is quite easy one only needs to
open the winsock.dll and as it's
using the BSD API it's quite easy to port it and winsock also allows
ease of use with IPX, XNS, DECnet and
others... Native NT/Win32 apps are usually written with the use of
Events (WSAEventSelect() etc...) but that's
a completely different subject, altough it also shows a bit of the part
of the internal workings of the stack
as they surely won't do a select() on filedescripts, though it looks the
same it ain't :)

> The only thing people are really slamming Microsoft here is being
> hypocritical.  Actually using BSD code is an action I support for any
> value of the licensee string. :)

Microsoft Windows BSD.... naah... though you could make a BSD subsystem
and plug that straight into NT...
But that's what they have the POSIX subsystem for and not to forget
Interix (http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/interix/).

Hopes that clears some of the mess up for you.

Greets,
 Jeroen