Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:29:54 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        brian@vividnet.com (Brian Wang)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need some advise on (ncr dead ?)

Brian Wang writes:
> Hi,
>
> 	I need some advise from the logs attached at the end of the
> e-mail.  Something definitely is going berserk on this machine's SCSI
> subsystem.  I'm getting bad blocks on a brand new HD, and error messages
> from the rest.  There's a tape drive attach to it, and I'm unable to
> perform backups (it fails).  I'm thinking that it is a bad SCSI card
> (replacement on its way), what do you scsi experts think?  By the way, is

Hmm, no, this does not look like a controller problem.
But you don't give any information when this failure
happens: During the SCSI boot probe, or after the system
has been running for some time. (I assume the former ...)

You may want to try the boot floppy from the latest SNAP,
which was built with slightly different default parameters
for certain driver options.

I just received my Ultra-Wide DORS 32160T, which will help
me to test the Ultra-Wide NCR driver that is expected to
become available soon :)
(My Tekram DC390F (Ultra-Wide, 53c875 based) host adapter
is still on its way, so I could not start the testing, yet.)

> --logs--
> sd0(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
> sd0(ncr0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
> sd0(ncr0:1:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred
> , retries:2
> st0(ncr0:0:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.

These are only informational messages. The devices react
on the SCSI bus reset they noticed ...

> ncr0: restart (ncr dead ?).

This is a message that gets printed when no progress is made
on some command for more than 10 seconds.

> ncr0: restart (ncr dead ?).

If there still is no progress, a SCSI bus reset is issued
to recover from the apparently locked state.
I'll remove this SCSI reset with the next set of patches to
the NCR driver, since it does not appear to do much good.

You may want to try the boot floppy from the latest SNAP.
It contains a slightly different version of the NCR code,
as came with 2.1.5, and it may well make a difference.
(No, I don't want you to install the SNAP, but if I know
it works with that driver, it will be easier to get your
system run with 2.1.5.)

Regards, STefan