Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:05:11 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        "Angka H. K." <harikurniawan@gmail.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My snd_ich working well

Angka H. K. wrote:
> Thanks for the replay
> I am updating my source now and planing to rebuild it again, but I don't see
> any changes on ACPI code.
>
> I was mistype on the val that return by kernel, the error should be "acpi:
> bad write to port 0x073(8) val 20", I am sorry.
> Hope it'll be fixed soon.
>
> FYI : I am using HP V2388TU with current source. The error is produced by
> source updated at  2 April 2006
>

> On 4/3/06, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
>> "Angka H. K." <harikurniawan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please strip freebsd-multimedia@ on reply...
>>
>>> I have other problem now , which is saying "acpi: bad read to port
>> 0x073"
>>> and "acpi: bad write to port 0x073(8) val 82", where can ask about this
>> ? It
>>> looks like google has no archive about this error.
>> I assume you are using -current. So the right place is to ask on current@
>> (CCed). I also CCed njl@, since he's our "master of acpi".

This error message is only a warning currently.  Are you sure it's 0x73?
  That's not on the blacklist.  We note reads/writes to 0x70 - 0x71 and
0x74 - 0x76.  Those are the CMOS and RTC areas and AML shouldn't write
there.

/*
  * Some BIOS vendors use AML to read/write directly to IO space.  This
  * can cause a problem if such accesses interfere with the OS's access to
  * the same ports.  Windows XP and newer systems block accesses to certain
  * IO ports.  We print a message or block accesses based on a tunable.
  */
static int illegal_bios_ports[] = {
	0x000, 0x00f,	/* DMA controller 1 */
	0x020, 0x021,	/* PIC */
	0x040, 0x043,	/* Timer 1 */
	0x048, 0x04b,	/* Timer 2 failsafe */
	0x070, 0x071,	/* CMOS and RTC */
	0x074, 0x076,	/* Extended CMOS */
	0x081, 0x083,	/* DMA1 page registers */
	0x087, 0x087,	/* DMA1 ch0 low page */
	0x089, 0x08b,	/* DMA2 ch2 (0x89), ch3 low page (0x8a, 0x8b) */
	0x08f, 0x091,	/* DMA2 low page refresh (0x8f) */
			/* Arb ctrl port, card select feedback (0x90, 0x91) */
	0x093, 0x094,	/* System board setup */
	0x096, 0x097,	/* POS channel select */
	0x0a0, 0x0a1,	/* PIC (cascaded) */
	0x0c0, 0x0df,	/* ISA DMA */
	0x4d0, 0x4d1,	/* PIC ELCR (edge/level control) */
	0xcf8, 0xcff,	/* PCI config space. Microsoft adds 0xd00 also but
			   that seems incorrect. */
	-1, -1
};

In the future, this warning will become an error and the access will be
rejected.  That's to prevent bad AML from conflicting with drivers and
hanging or crashing the system.  Your system has always had this
behavior, we're just detecting it now.

--
Nate