Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:04:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wayne Berryman <reptco@chicagonet.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Tape Drive Drivers???

On Tue, Dec 30, 1997 at 06:43:30PM -0600, reptco@chicagonet.net wrote:

Please limit your message width to less than 80 characters.  Many
people have difficulty reading wider lines.  I've reformatted your
text to fit.

> In trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.5, I kept getting this ach0 error.

If you get an error message, please reproduce it.  I don't know "this
ach0 error".  ach0 sounds like a device name, but we don't have a
device with that name.  Could it be that you have an Adaptec 2940
(which uses the ahc0 driver)?  In any case, this is just the device
reporting the error.  You've omitted everything that can give us
information about what the error is.

> I thought it was the actual Adaptec card it didn't like.  Turns out
> it doesn't like my SCSI tape drive.  If I take the tape drive off
> BSD installs fine.  Now that I have FreeBSD on my system, I put the
> tape drive back on.  I run into the same problem I had as installing
> when with the SCSI tape drive attached.

> I need to find a driver for SCSI Tape drive for FreeBSD that will
> work with my Seagate Tapestore drive (most software recognizes it as
> a CTT8000-S drive).

There's only one driver for the Adaptec 2940/3940 series.

> Has anyone else had this problem?

I can't even guess.

> Has anyone found a driver that will work?

Sure.  It's part of the kernel.  Since you have your disk working, it
appears to be running.

> Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get this driver, and
> documentation on how to install a driver for a device after I have
> BSD installed on my system?

It's on your system.

I suppose I'm being a little hard on you.  Your approach to this
problem is pretty typical of people who come from a Microsoft
background, where you don't have proper debug tools, and where the
system itself isn't complete and requires drivers from other sources.
FreeBSD has neither of these problems.  The first debug tool is the
error message.  It may look like gibberish to you, but it tells us
what the problem is.  It could be as simple as an incorrect device
ID.

The other feature of FreeBSD is that it already contains the drivers
you need, so you don't have to go worrying about finding other ones.

Here's what to do: reconnect the tape drive, try to boot, and write
down the exact text of the error message.  Send it to me, and we'll be
a whole lot further.

Greg