Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:51:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damascus <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Viability of -current for Usenet News

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Lee Reese wrote:

> We have been having quite a bit of trouble running a Usenet News server
> over the last 8 months.  The machine in question is a dual Pentium Pro
> with 256MB and a DPT 3334UW Raid Controller.
>
> What I would like to do is convince the Sysadmin that FreeBSD might be a
> better platform than Slackware Linux for administering the server.  The
> machine would be running INN 2.0.  We have seen severe buffering
> problems with the RAID controller and Linux in its present state.  Could
> anyone give any reasons why FreeBSD may be a superior OS for such an
> application so I can convince the Sysadmin to switch?  Thanks.
>
> Lee Reese

Hardware wise, Linux should have some pretty decent support.  I don't know
if FreeBSD's drivers for the DPT raid controllers are good.... but I am
pretty sure they are good.

However, slackware linux as a major server?  I do not know about that
one... I used to use slackware, then tried Debian.  Debian is much
better with it's package system.  You try upgrading a slackware system
in the long run... GOOD luck, at least Debian has an easy time with it  :)
... but when it comes down to serious adminning, I like FreeBSD the best.
It is the easiest to admin, far more organized than any Linux
Distribution, fastest TCP/IP stack, better performance, cvsup makes it the
EASIEST to upgrade, both applications and core OS, and a spiffy daemon
screen saver too!

(sorry if lines are all messed up... pico seems to like doing that even
though it look fine here)