Date:      23 Aug 2002 21:37:01 +0200
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USE_GNOMENG or GNOME1_ONLY?

Am Mi, 2002-08-21 um 21.00 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 14:23, Franz Klammer wrote:
> > while changing the file_menu_applet to USE_GNOMENG i've seen
> > the this port works with gnome1 only.
> >
> > should i add a gnome2-check (eg. if gnomepanel resp. gnomecore is
> > installed) or is a GNOME[1|2]_ONLY knob planned?
> >

> > i hope this is correct:
> > USE_GNOME=      gnomeprefix gnomehack gnomelibs libpanel
> >
> > attached a adapted version from the gnome2/pkg-install - script
> > and the Makefile i plan use.
>
> Funny you should bring this up.  I've just committed the new FreeBSD
> GNOME porting guide with GNOMENG support.  Until the web site is
> updated, you can get it from http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome.
>
> I was thinking about this kind of thing this morning for gaim, and I
> thought of checking to see if
> ${X11BASE}/libdata/pkgconfig/libpanelapplet-2.0.pc exists.  If it does,
> disable GNOME support.  Since your port requires GNOME 1 panel support,
> something similar to what you're doing is probably a good idea.  Except,
> you may not want to check for gnomecore as there is a chance it may not
> be installed when your port is built (you only need libpanel after all).

another idea:

when i change the message that this port can/should only be installed
when a full/running gnome1-system is already installed - which implies
gnomecore?

gnomecore is a RUN_DEPENDS for this port and i think it doesn't
make sense to

 - add gnomecore as RUN_DEPENDS
 - install it when gnomecore is not installed.

if not, i submit it with checking for libpanelapplet-2.0.pc.

> As for above, libpanel implies gnomelibs.  You don't need both.

changed. thanks.

> Joe

franz

--