Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:49:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        greg@uswest.net (Greg Rowe)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherPower 10/100 - 9332

> Greetings,
>
>  Has anyone seen any problems with these things detecting the Hub speed
> incorrectly on a reboot ? I've had a couple instances on different systems, and
> different hubs, where a reboot will cause the card to come up as 100baseT on a
> 10baseT hub(2.1 & 2.1.5). A power on and off will then correct the problem.
> Again, I've only seen the problem only a couple times, and I have a fair number
> of these cards. Is there any way to force the card via the OS to go to 10baseT
> ?

Based on data I saw from Matt Thomas, the author of the DEC de driver,
"not at this time".  He appears to be looking into code which can
automagically reprobe the card for media type changes, etc.  Ask him
directly, or check the mailing list archives for a message in the last
few weeks asking for beta testers.

... JG