Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 02:31:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        "Vnotchenko S.S." <sergey@extech.msk.su>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Vnotchenko S.S. wrote:
>
> > Hi, all!
> > My friends and I planing to use 2.1.7R-FreeBSD as main server
> > (DNS,Web,INND,FTP) for ours ISP network.
> > We want use something like this: PCI, Pentium-PRO ATX CPU, 64 Mb EDO RAM,
> > 2x4.5 Gb SCSI,
> > 8x SCSI CD-ROM, 10Mbit Ethernet. Please, recommend us hardware (firm,
> > model) known as best
> > (reliable, fast) working under 2.1.7R-FreeBSD (PCI devices if possible).
>
> I've had a really good experience with my Micron Millenia Pro Plus.
>

> > ---
> > CPU:
>
> PPro-200
>
> > Motherboard:
>
> ATX w/Intel 440FX, as far as I can tell.
>
> > SCSI Host adapter:
>
> Buslogic BT-948.  Its reliability hasn't been perfect, but I don't really
> have a standard of comparison, as it's the only SCSI host adapter I've
> ever owned.

  I've used many of the Adaptec controllers (1742, 2742, 2940, and 3940)
under FreeBSD, and they are all much better than the Buslogic controller I
tried.  I've still got on of those ancient 1742 controllers in a
production FreeBSD system!

  The NCR PCI (810) controllers are also very good, and very reliable, and
very cheap.  I use these two.

> > SCSI Hard drives:
>
> Conner CFP2107S
>
> > SCSI CD-ROM:
>
> Plextor 8plex internal
>
> > Ethernet card:
>
> Cheap generic NE2000, probably the least problematic piece of hardware in
> my system (and it's not a problematic system).

  Never put a NE2000 into a server.  A high-powered server without
adequate network resources is a waste of CPU resources.  A NE2000 in a
PP200 system is a bit of joke.  I bet a P5-166 with a good ethernet card
would outperform it in many server applications.  A DEC-based PCI ethernet
card can DMA data right into system memory, while a NE2000 requires
expensive PIO for every byte!

> > ---
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Sergey (sergey@extech.msk.su).
> >

>  Ben
>
> "You have your mind on computers, it seems."

Tom