Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:59:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        marc@bowtie.nl
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Flemming Jacobsen <fj@login.dknet.dk>, dburr@pobox.com (Donald Burr), freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The future of the bt848 driver? (FW: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail)

> On one hand I can conceive that it is neccessary at times to use the
> "I'm a core member argument", on the other hand, this should be a last
> resort, if all other methods fail to reach an agreement.

That's not really what happened in this case, nor could it obviously
have happened in John's case (insert sideways look at "scrappy" here)
since John was also a core member at the time.  Sometimes people just
come to an impasse over some issue and this problem will remain a
problem until the human race either evolves into the next stage of
existence or goes extinct.

> However, it seems to me that in this case, more respect should have
> been shown for a volunteer that tries to maintain and enhance a piece
> of the freebsd software distribution. Sounds like ego-clashing to me.
>
> Has this been discussed in the -core mailing list at all?

We discussed it to *death* and if any more discussions like that
happen, it's likely that some of them will simply leave.  Suffice it
to say that the situation with Amancio just sucked and nobody who was
involved, from Amancio to Soren to phk, handled it in anything that
could be even remotely considered a professional manner.  That's what
makes dealing with these situations so hard - each party wants you to
believe that they're the injured one and it's all the other guy's
fault, and meanwhile you're reading the whole exchange and thinking
"man, I'd just as soon shoot *all* of you at this point since I can't
see anyone making an even halfway decent attempt to be reasonable or
even mature about all this."

BAH!

- Jordan