Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 06:01:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heinz Suez <malagana15@yahoo.es>
To:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: SiI 3112 time out problems and suggestions for a good sata controller.

Hi. I had the same problem a month ago with the same controller. The problem was that i bought this pci sata controller with the sil3112 for an old computer (dual p3 550, 512mb ram pc133, pci 2.1), so the transfer rate & buffer was higher than the mother board was able to deliver...in other words, the sata controller (the sil3121 chipset i mean) was not 100% backwards compatible with pci 2.1 when it should be. I tried this controller with a brand new computer and worked just fine with lots of hdd's. Now, you have 2 solutions: Sell the controller if it's a pci card or buy a more expensive card with a different chipset. There're a lot of sata chipsets that support pci 2.1 or older computers, i have seen lots of users running sata raid at full speed on p2 machines.
Good luck.

Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net> escribió:
  I am getting entries like this in dmesg.
ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=355277839
ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=358666287

smartctl -t long /dev/ad10 shows it to be good though. The results
from the times I have run it show it completing successfully every
time. I believe I have no reason to suspect a bad disk and it just a
crappy chip. From what I have read in the mailing list archives, I
believe this to be true. Any one have any opinions otherwise on this
or the like?

The machine this is running on has releng_5 on it.

I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on a good for a good
sata pci card that preferably has 4 connectors on it.

SiI 3112 sysctl entry if any one is curious.
dev.atapci.1.%desc: SiI 3112 SATA150 controller
dev.atapci.1.%driver: atapci
dev.atapci.1.%location: slot=11 function=0
dev.atapci.1.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x1095 device=0x3112 subvendor=0x1095
subdevice=0x6112 class=0x010400 dev.atapci.1.%parent: pci1