Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 19:26:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Preliminary Tenets

Many yesses, no nos. So here we go.

OBTW, this is not intended to be a mailing list charter. This is intended
to be a charter for an organization.

This is _my_ vision of a charter. This is proposed to get discussion
started. (Thanks for the advice Greg.) It is very much subject to debate,
addition, or truncation.

I will not discuss my ideas yet. I will just state them.

*****

- Duties

The FreeBSD Advocacy Group shall have the duty to spread the word and
improve the user base.

The Group shall be able to answer this question, asked by a perspective
user, "Why should I choose FreeBSD?"

- The Group's Position (if not that of each and every member)

The Group shall support freely available software and other free software
communities including the Free Software Foundation, Mozilla.org, Linux,
and the BSD variants. All free software communities have a vested interest
in cooperation.

The Group supports software licensing that makes source code available.
The Group is not formed for the purpose of advocating BSD over GPL. The
Group supports the FREEDOM of free software.

The Group shall advocate the porting of applications to the FreeBSD
platform to provide a compelling reason to use FreeBSD and improve our
user base.

The Group shall advocate the release of driver source code to enhance
hardware compatibility and improve our user base.

The Group is formed to advance the FreeBSD user base. The Group shall not
officially engage in activities that detract from other communities. The
Group shall present FreeBSD as an alternative to FooSoft. The Group shall
not engage in "FooSoft Sucks!"

- Powers

Current members of the core group shall have veto power until such time
the the Advocacy Group has matured and can handle its own affairs. This is
to ensure that the Advocacy Group performs in a manner which is beneficial
to FreeBSD, Inc and the FreeBSD community at large.

The FreeBSD advocacy group shall be ruled by "oral vote". In the event
that a clear consensus has not been reached, talk some more and reach one!
:)

- Moderation.

Discussion on the FreeBSD-advocacy shall not be moderated. Let rhetoric
stand by its own merit.

- Sanctioned Advocacy

All sanctioned advocacy should be perfomed in accordance with the above
duties and positions.

The FreeBSD Advocacy Group shall sanction certain advocacy actions. The
actions that the Group will sanction will be of the corporate nature. If
FreeBSD is to form a cooperative advocacy alliance with an organization,
that alliance should be sanctioned.

This is done to provide other organizations with a coherent and consistent
representation of FreeBSD, Inc.

- Unsanctioned Advocacy

All members are invited to advocate FreeBSD in their daily affairs. The
opinions of members who engage in unsanctioned advocacy represent their
personal views and not necessarily those views of FreeBSD, Inc. To
represent an unsanctioned position as one that is sanctioned will be
considered inappropriate.

*****

Your turn.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/