Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:27:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp (Jun Kuriyama)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RC3 uploaded for ia64

Jun Kuriyama wrote:
 > At Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:52:17 +0100 (CET), Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That's really not necessary, because there's a ports.tgz in
 > > every snapshot and every release, and of course it can be
 > > checked out from the repo, too.  And there's cvsweb, too.
 >
 > Hmm, should we really remove extracted source tree from ftp?
 > Yes, this is a nightmare for mirror administrators, but extracted src/
 > and ports/ is one of the easiest way to check a single file content.

To be honest, I've never used FTP for that.  I think cvsweb
is _much_ easier for that, _and_ the complete history and
comments of the comitters are just one mouseclick away.

 > Nowadays, I usually use cvsweb (and locally checked out files) to
 > check single file.  For old branches (such as RELENG_2_2), I can use
 > files carried by ftp.  I personally do not require these extracted
 > files on ftp.  But I don't know how many users use them.

The download stats for those trees are almost zero on our
FreeBSD mirror.  Except for obviuous other mirrors who get
it from us, of course.

They're one big waste of CPU and bandwidth, IMO.

Regards
   Oliver