Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:52:04 +0900 (JST)
From:      NAKATA Maho <chat95@mac.com>
To:        mi@corbulon.video-collage.com
Cc:        openoffice@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OOo-1.1.4 and gcc-3.4

In Message-ID: <200501111113.j0BBDVk7069418@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com> wrote:

Dear Mikhail

> Obviously, you have a very strict approach to this work. However, your
> approach is quite different from that of the rest of the FreeBSD ports
> collection.
Yes. Always OOo building is fragile, so i don't want to take the
risk. I'm doing builds almost everyday and see what happens. even
small changes can affect entire build.

> Imagine, each port building its own compiler! Even if each *significant*
> port was to build its own compiler, it would still be a nightmare. You'd
> have a kde-gcc, gnome-gcc, xorg-gcc, xfree86-gcc, mozilla-gcc (with
> optional gnome-gcc), etc.
>
> This is not right.
Hm, it is okay if you submit a fix for every gccs. Many people are doing at
dev@openoffice.org, and I don't think they are wrong.
Please do have discussions dev@openoffice.org. and list the versions
of gcc which a valid. This is a good job. Please consider the
integration into master of OOo source code.
Otherwise, patches without discussion is not good but harms.

>From 1.1.4, I also marked as BROKEN for prior than 5.3 and 4.11-RELEASE.
Could you please investigate this?

> This is HORRIBLE. We should not be forking a compiler like that. You
> should have made our compiler people add your fixes to the system
> compiler and/or to the gcc-* ports.
Yes it is horrible.

> I'm sorry, but your policy contradicts the FreeBSD ports policy -- at
> least, my understanding of it. If this letter of mine is not sufficiently
> convincing, let's ask portmgr@ and ports@ for mediation.
Where I can find it in a written form? and I'm the maintainer of it...

> Or, maybe, I'll just create an editors/openoffice-clean.
It is okay and it is up to you.
Instead, I can add -DWITH_SYSTEM_GCC flag or -DWITH_SYSTEM_LIBS
and other stuffs.

OOo are still developing stage, even though they look like stable,
they are not very well tested.
Systematic tests not available or volunteers are doing what test
should be done for implimentation. and QA has not yet been done.
http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/QA.html
http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/testing.html
we are asking at (actually not me, since now I'm concentrating on
reducing the # of patches for FreeBSD) at dev@openoffice.org or
dev@porting.openoffice.org.

How about integrating ooo-build http://ooo.ximian.com/ooo-build.html 's
effort? It is also interesting.

Please resolve such kind of issues first, Do not try to improve
superficial parts. please leave stable part untouched or activated
via a special flags, like -DWITH_CUPS.

Thank you very much for your contribution.
-- NAKATA, Maho