Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 18:56:30 -0700
From:      markem@primenet.com (Mark Monninger)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Big IDE Drives

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I think I screwed up the first time.

I recently purchased a 1.2G IDE drive, planning to partition it between
Windoze and FreeBSD. I have BSD running off a partition of a 420M drive now
with no problems. Since my disk controller, which uses a WD chip, won't
handle drives > 500Mb or so, I also purchased a card which I believe has a
BIOS extension that handles > 500Mb drives. OK...the drive works fine with
DOS/Windoze but now FreeBSD won't boot at all from the 420Mb drive. It just
sits there...no nuthin. If I remove the BIOS card it works fine. Of course,
then the 1.2G drive isn't happy. Will FreeBSD work with LBA drives? Am I
just SOL with the big drive? I know...I shoulda went with SCSI but it's a
lot more $$. I can get a controller board that handles the big drive but I
don't know if it will work either. I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5, I believe. I
found an old 386bsd boot floppy from a while back and it boots OK with the
BIOS board.

Hmm...guess I could go back to 386bsd...I think I still have all the disks...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Mark